Sunday, April 16, 2023

Second EOTO : Citizen Journalism

The best way I can define citizen journalism is the practice of non-professional individuals reporting news and events through various media platforms, such as social media, blogs, podcasts, and other online platforms. It has emerged as a new form of journalism, where ordinary folks can act as reporters and provide information that traditional news sources may now cover or overlook. 


There are many implications to this; firstly, it has allowed people to have more access to information and diverse perspectives on events that traditional news sources may not cover. Citizen journalists often report on events that occur in their local communities or regions, providing on-the-ground coverage that traditional journalists may not be able to provide. Citizen Journalism has also played a significant role in exposing social injustices and promoting social change. For example, during the Arab Spring protestscitizen journalists used social media platforms to report on protests and human rights violations, providing crucial information to the world about the events taking place in the region. However, there are also concerns about the reliability of citizen journalism. Since citizen journalists are not professional reporters, the information they provide may be incomplete, inaccurate, or biased. Therefore, it is important to critically evaluate the information provided by citizen journalists and to certify with other sources.

When zooming the lens out and looking at how citizen journalism has impacted society as a whole, it starts with an increase of transparency and accountability in media overall. By reporting on events and issues that traditional news sources may not cover, citizen journalists have helped shed light on injustices, corruption, and other issues that might otherwise go unnoticed. Also, this type of media has created greater awareness/understanding in the field and has also helped to increase awareness and understanding of different cultures, communities, and perspectives. Another crucial effect is the shift in power dynamics in the media industry; with the rise of citizen journalism, traditional media outlets have had to adapt to the changing landscape and compete with non-professional reporters for coverage of events. In my opinion, this has led to a more diverse and dynamic media ecosystem. And in turn, this new development has challenged traditional media outlets' authority. With more people turning to social media and other online platforms for news and information, traditional media outlets have had to compete with non-professional reporters for audiences and credibility.



When I think about how this impacts my family and me, I can think of a number of ways. On the one hand, it can provide valuable information about local events, community issues, and other topics that may be relevant to my family or me. And following these citizen journalists in my area may help me stay up-to-date on news that I wasn't aware of. On the other hand, as I stated previously, citizen journalism can also be extremely unreliable in some cases, and it may be difficult for me, or especially for my older family members, to verify the accuracy of the information being reported. And this false reporting can cause several issues, such as the spread of misinformation, which can lead to misunderstandings and incorrect beliefs. Also, false reporting can contribute to social unrest or conflict. If false information is spread about a particular group or community, it can lead to fear, anger, and mistrust. Lastly, in some cases, false reporting can have legal consequences. If false information is reported about a person or organization, it may be considered libel or slander, which can lead to legal action. So going forward, I will definitely be double-checking information from citizen journalism, to help ensure I have accurate information and to help me avoid spreading false information. And I would advise anyone else to do the same, so we can have a more informed and educated society. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

My Relationship with Technology

I believe I do have a balanced relationship with technology; even though I use it a significant amount of time, it doesn't consume my li...